Friday, June 10, 2011

Graduation in Visby

One year from today, I would graduate back home. After this year though, I still have two more years. That doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me, is that I can't be home on this day to celebrate and see my friends and two cousins graduate. For you American folks I'll tell you how we do it back home, it's just a little bit different..

Outfit: Guys in tuxes, girls in pretty summer dresses, often white.
Schedule: The day starts with a champagne breakfast and mingle in a beautiful park by the ocean. They will also get cake in another part of the city during the day. The home room class you've taken classes with all year has each decorated a big carriage pulled by a tractor. On them they will be taken to parties at the houses of different families of the class. Then on to the ceremoni down on the concert hall balcony by the beach.
Ceremoni: Every home room class has picked a song that plays as they run out on the balcony. The song plays for a while as they're up there celebrating. The music takes a break for a speaker that says some short words, the music continues and they walk down to their familys in the crowd.
Signs: Each family make a sign of the graduate from their childhood, either an embarassing one or a cute one, depends on the family..
Continuation of schedule: After the ceremoni each class get on their decorated carriage, loaded with speaker equipment. They play crazy loud music and ride around town dancing and having a great time until the cops tell them its time to quit, we're talking AM here. Then they move on to the night clubs and continue the party.


Sign made by Bosse, dad of my cousin Elias

My one year older cousin, miss you

My other cousin Tove, sign made by her dad, Janne

Cousin Tove to the right, friend Maja next to her

                                       

4 comments:

  1. hmmm, I hink maybe we go for the embarassing type of sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there's so many cute pictures of me! I loved the one Elias had too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn´t it cute!! He was 3 years old in Gothenburg celebrating his grandmother beeing 701

    We really missed you a lot, especially Elias!
    //Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean 70! :)

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete